I had lunch with one of my clients and was really excited by the ideas and actions we came up with for enhancing her business in the coming year. It got me thinking about what I could do in my own business. I came up with these 12 tips designed for consultants, authors, and service-based businesses.
12 Tips for Energizing Your Business and Your Brand
- Make an action plan with discrete small steps. If your plan has more than 10 steps, make separate plans for each phase of the project you are undertaking. This helps you stay focused and achieve your goals more easily.
- Identify your best customers. Think of ways to do more for and with them and start doing it now.
- Identify your worst customers and get them out of your business. These customers are time and energy vampires. As long as you allow it, they will continue to suck the life out of you and demand more of you than they are willing to pay for. Free yourself of these folks and you will have an immediate boost of energy.
- Google yourself. Based on what shows up, plan to fill in the gaps so that it is easy to find you when someone is searching for you, your company, and your products and services.
- Make a list or spreadsheet of all of your channels of communication. Track and update your profile or profiles on any social media channels that you participate in, for instance, refresh or change your profile photo. When you can see everything in one place, you have a better sense of what is working for you and you can plan how often you want to add new content to these channels.
- Invite people to join your mailing list by giving away great and useful information that demonstrate your expertise and benefits them
- Add a short, 30 seconds to 90 seconds, video of yourself enthusiastically sharing about what you love to do the most in your business and put it up on YouTube and on your website.
- Start a loyalty program that rewards your best customers and encourages them to refer people like themselves as new customers
- Create a 12 month calendar for raising your visibility and staying in touch with activities like speaking to a business group, donating your time product or services to a nonprofit that you believe in, entering a contest in your industry, becoming a mentor, writing and publishing a short book about what you know best, or sending out a newsletter filled with practical information each month.
- Take before and after photos when you are working with clients and post them with their permission to your social channels and on your website.
- Make it easy for your customers to share their positive testimonials. That might be as easy as creating a QR code that links to Yelp or LinkedIn and prominently displaying it in your place of business. Ask your customers to share their enthusiasm about you. Give them the option to scan the QR code or enter a URL that takes them to the social site where they can enter their comments.
- Be your brand. Wear clothing with your logo on it. If you drive a vehicle for business, add your logo and contact information. If you package your services, add your logo to bags and boxes you give to your customers. If you provide services, you could give away a bag, a mug, or other useful item as a gift with your logo and contact information on it as a sign of appreciate that you give to your customers.
Planning is a Gift
Committing your ideas to paper or to a digital file, frees up your brain. Instead of having lots of thoughts screaming at you for attention, you have a clear, actionable list. And another benefit of putting your ideas onto paper or into your computer, you can share the list with people who can help you take action. By creating the schedule, sticking to it, focusing on the customers you love to work with, getting rid of the ones who are time and energy vampires, and making it easy for people to find you, to know you, and to like you, you will have a energized, more profitable, and enjoyable business.
Remember, marketing is a conversation. What are you saying about your business? What are your customers saying about you? Take all of some of the actions outlined above and the conversation will be an energy boost for your business.