Guerrilla Marketing Tactics for Authors
If you are looking for ways to leverage your book into new business for your consulting practice, I recommend implementing some or all of the tactics outlined below. Al Lautenslager, co-author with Jay Conrad Levinson, of the best seller, Guerilla Marketing in 30 Days. He shared ways he has gained new business using his books as a launching pad during his interviewed with Stephanie Chandler, founder of the Nonfiction Authors Association.
Act like an author
- Tell people you are an author, speaker, consultant.
- Speak everywhere you can, whether or not you are being paid. If you are doing a book talk, contact local business groups and offer to speak. You never know who will be in the audience who can propel your marketing to a wider or possibly world-wide audience. In Al’s case, a free talk to the San Diego Chamber of Commerce lead to his being booked by Carnival Cruise Lines, meeting Donald Trump and becoming a judge on “The Apprentice”.
- Keep your biography up-to-date.
- Scan the web for breaking news in your areas of expertise.
- Tie your articles and posts to current events.
- Comment on trending stories based on your expertise.
- Be ready to respond to requests by media (radio, t.v., print, blogging.)
- Find media events that relate to your expertise and see if you can participate.
- Use social media conversations (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest) to update your audience about where you will be appearing and what you are doing.
- Use Pinterest back links to drive traffic to websites that give details of what you want them to know.
- Use hashtags (#) to make it easier to find your content.
- Create your own events. Build packages and tours that relate to your area of expertise.
- Fusion marketing: find collaborators and market as a team.
- Use email marketing to direct offline calls to action.
- Use direct mail to market online calls to actions.
- Inform everyone who can benefit about how you can help them.
Get Guerrilla Marketing in 30 Days, 2nd Edition at amazon.com